Thursday, May 7, 2009

My New Favorite Sound

A lot of people have a favorite sound, especially come summer time. For some it's the crack of a wood bat at a baseball game. For some it's the sound of opening a cold beer on a hot summer day. And for some is the sound of a boat starting before heading out for a day on the lake. Though I love all of these sounds, I think I found a new favorite today. The sound of your shoes crunching over packed dirt and rock while hiking. There is something very freeing about being by yourself on a hike in the mountains, and only hearing that crunch and the nature around you. I went hiking today through Elk Meadow Park for about 2.5 hours to around 8400'. It was the perfect day for a hike. 75 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Once I got to my turn around spot, I found a boulder to lay on, turned on some Martin Sexton tunes, and just sat and stared at the amazing scenery. It was so incredibly peaceful, and I feel so lucky to live in this amazing place. My hope while living in Colorado is that this never becomes mundane and ordinary. I hope that every time I look around at my surroundings, I can stand in awe as though it is just as new and as exciting as right now. What's ironic is that while I am writing this, I just looked at the map of where I hiked, and on the back of the map is a quote. "All my troubles melt away at the sound of my boots on the trail, fresh air and the smell of pine." Below are a few pics from the hike.


No comments:

Post a Comment